I think it's fascinating how games have their own visual language. I also think it's fascinating how people who aren't gamers find it difficult to understand what games are trying to say when I, as a gamer, understand the visual cues with just a glance. Hell, even before visual cues, knowing by instinct which buttons I'll likely have to press to control characters is also a whole part of the gaming 'language' all on its own.

I've witnessed it personally with acquaintances, though it was a video on YouTube that really made me come to the realisation why some people are so bad at games. Perhaps they're not 'bad', per se. Maybe these people just don't understand the same language that I do. It would make sense. I don't have to think much to form sentences in English, just like how it doesn't take much for me to understand a glowing point in a game means it's something of interest, something that should be investigated. It's a little strange to think about how there are people out there who can't understand these visual cues that feels like second nature to me.

But isn't it also equally fascinating how even between different games there are categories for what certain things mean? And how easy it is for people who are already gamers to understand what these new cues mean in the context of completely separate games? It's fascinating how there are so many different iterations of this same language, and how it goes beyond spoken and written languages.

I guess in this vein, it's a little like a visual language barrier between gamers and non-gamers. How interesting.


I think I might be coming off a little too deep. Honestly, these are just the shower thoughts of a person who has a bit too much time on their hands.